MEGA sets itself apart from other cloud storage services in that it offers end to end encryption for files uploaded. It also gives a generous 50 GB worth of storage to free users.
The service however comes with one downside: it downloads files using the browser’s blob saving functionality. This is not the most reliable of ways especially for downloading large files.
Some common problems include:
- not all browsers work or work well with the blob saving functionality (e.g. old versions of IE)
- loss of internet connection may break downloads with no way to resume
- maximum download speeds may not be achieved or accelerated for that matter
When downloading normally through the browser, the above limitations are usually overcome by making use of a download manager.
With MEGA, it would seem the closest option to achieving this is for one to use the MEGASync app however you can actually use a normal download manager like FDM or IDM. Here’s how.
Step 1: Generate Download Link with MegaDownloader
First we need to generate a download link for the file to download using MegaDownloader. You can get the application from Softpedia.
Once you have it installed, do the following:
1. In your browser, go to mega.co.nz and copy the link in the address bar for the file you want to download. e.g.
2. Launch MegaDownloader and on its toolbar click the Streaming option followed by Watch Online.
|Open Watch Online|
3. Paste the link in the MEGA URL link box then below it copy the link that is generated in the Streaming URL link box. e.g.
|Copy Streaming Link|
4. Minimize your browser and MegaDownloader (don’t exit).
Step 2: Download Link with a Download Manager
1. Just open your download manager and paste the link you’ve just generated and start your download normally.
In my case, I use the good old FDM though it should work with other download managers.
|Adding link to FDM|
2. If you need to download multiple files, just repeat the steps above and feed the generated streaming link to your download manager.
The links for the files will look the same and only the last part will be different in order of how they’ve been generated e.g.
The downloads may appear named as Streaming but once the download begins the actual name of the file will be resolved. If this fails to happen, remember to rename the file with actual file name and extension once its completed.