Transferring Outlook data from one computer to another is quite easy and does not take a lot of time. You might want to transfer your Outlook data folders to a new computer, or you may want data files from the old Outlook version to be transferred to a new version. Here’s how I transferred my Outlook Data Folders to a new computer effortlessly.
The first thing to know when you want to transfer or move Outlook data to a new computer is from which location you can extract the Outlook data that is to be transferred.
Outlook data is stored in a data file called PST (Personal Storage Table) with the extension .pst or an OST (Offline Storage Table) file with the extension .ost.
Outlook data exported to a PST data file includes Outlook attributes such as emails, calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes. We can use this to either transfer the data to a new computer or make backups.
When I tried to move my Outlook data file to another computer, I came to learn that method and approach will vary from one Outlook version to another.
Initially, I used the in-built Import/Export feature, which involved copying and importing the exported PST in the new computer. I found this to be quite tiresome and time-consuming, and I also had doubts on data integrity, as I had never done this before.
I wanted to see if there is an easier and automated way to do it. So I started looking for Outlook data migration tools. To my surprise, I found a software called Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate Tool.
The software not only had great reviews, but also appeared very easy to use. So I decided to give this Remo tool a try to see how well it could transfer my Outlook data folders to the new machine using this
Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate Tool is an all-in-one tool that is designed to backup, restore and migrate Outlook data. I found it to be quite well-thought-out in terms of functionality, and didn’t come across software that had the same features.
If you want to recover any important data before you head to transfer the data from old computer to new one, you may additionally need a data recovery tool. Luckily there is an effective tool for that task too from the same developer called Remo Data Recovery which can help you to recover any important erased or inaccessible data.
Now, let us talk about how you can move Outlook data from one computer to another. Using the aforementioned tool, I have also included a manual method which includes using Outlook Import/Export feature.
Transfer Outlook Data to a New Machine using Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate Tool
Using the tool I was able to move Outlook data to a new computer in no time with a few simple clicks. I also found out that I could move data from one Operating System to another, as well as from an older Windows version to a newer version and vice-versa.
- Download and Install Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate Tool.
- Click on Backup option.
- On the next screen, choose between the Smart Backup or Advanced Backup option. The latter allows you to choose the folders that you need. Click on Next.
- Click on View Report to see the list of folders backed up.
- Next, install the application in the other computer and migrate the backed up Outlook data.
Move Outlook Folders to a new computer using the Inbuilt Import/Export feature
- Open Outlook, click on the File tab, then click on Import & Export.
- Choose the Export to a file option, then click on Next.
- Then select Outlook data file(.pst) as the file type and click Next.
- Next choose the attributes you want to be in your .pst file (i.e. the data items you want to transfer to your new computer) and click on the Browse option and choose the path to save the file.
- Transfer the exported pst file saved to the target computer then import it into Outlook.
You can try out both the methods to see which is the most effective means to move your Outlook files from one computer to another.