Blogger generates for you two CNAME (Canonical Name) records when setting up your blog to use a custom domain. The second record that’s provided is a unique one and it’s what confirms your ownership of the domain.
For some reason you may however encounter an error in the Third-party domain settings that says:
You have not been authorised to use this domain. Please follow the settings instructions.
Myself I encountered this error while trying to activate the setting that redirects the naked (root) domain of my blog to the WWW version. I had activated this redirection when setting up the domain and even set up the optional A records needed for this to work. As far as I knew the redirection was working.
However it turns out that since moving my nameservers to Ezoic the redirection had stopped working. I only realized this after encountering Origin Errors which I have since resolved after fixing the redirection.
Why your domain may have become unverified?
As far as I can tell when I moved my nameservers to Ezoic, their DNS Manager didn’t import all my DNS Records (CNAME and A records) that I had set up in Namecheap’s Advance DNS Manager.
It left out the second unique CNAME record causing my domain reverification to fail as shown below here in Search Console.
|Verification Failure in Google Search Console|
As you can see, Google was trying to verify the domain using the DNS CNAME record and failing at each attempt. So it could only mean that something was wrong with that record.
A similar thing may have happened with your domain either when setting up the DNS records or if you moved your DNS records to a different host e.g. a publishing partner like Ezoic or when setting up Blogger to use Cloudflare.
Fortunately, to resolve the error is rather simple and you don’t have to set up your custom domain all over again. We instead can reverify our domain using either two options:
- Adding the missing CNAMEs Records in your Host’s DNS Manager
- Using Search Console’s TXT Record
1. Adding the missing CNAMEs Records
Go to your registrar’s DNS Manager and make sure the two CNAMEs provided by Blogger are set up correctly. You want to make sure that the second CNAME highlighted below is added correctly.
|Blogger CNAME Records|
If you’ve moved your Nameservers to a different host then edit the records in the DNS manager they provide ypu with.
After doing that, wait for about an hour or so then go back to Blogger and try saving the Third-party domain settings. If the error doesn’t go away give it some more time or try the search console route explained below.
2. Reverify your Blogger Custom Domain using Search Console
The first method failed in my case even after waiting a couple of hours for the DNS records to take effect. This one however did eventually resolve the error for me.
- I think it may be necessary to have already added your domain in Search Console for this to work though I can’t confirm as I had already added mine before doing this.
1. In the Third-party domain settings click the Google Search Console link to verify domain ownership using TXT record.
|Open Search Console|
2. In Search Console select your Domain Provider from the list. If they’re not listed there just select Other. Next copy the TXT record that will be provided below.
|Copy TXT Record|
3. Go to the DNS Manager provided by your Domain Registrar or the Host you’re currently using and create a new TXT record. Enter the copied text as the value for the record and save it.
4. Wait for about an hour or so then go back to Search Console and click the VERIFY button. If things go as planned you should get a congratulations message that you’ve verified your ownership of the domain.
Should this not happen give it some more time. Google will keep checking and will verify once it finds the record.
5. Finally go back to Blogger Third-party domain settings and click the Save button. The saving should work now and if you look back into the settings the error will have gone away.